Built in 1187, the Curpu Monastery is located in the Doilungdeqen County,
70 kilometers away from Lhasa. It is the main monastery of the Black Cap
Group of the karma Sect. The system of succession to grant the living Buddha
was originated here and has become popular among various sects of the Tibetan
On the slope of the wuze Hill in Genbei five kilometers northwest of Lhasa,
the Drepung Monastery was built in 1416 and is the largest of the monastery
of the Gelug Sect. It covers and area of 250,000 square meters.
In Dagze County 60 kilometers to the east of Lhasa, it is one of the three
great monasteries in Lhasa and one of the six great monasteries of the Gelug
Sect. Gandain means happiness and contentedness in Tibetan.
Located in the center of the ancient city of Lhasa, the Jokhang Monastery
was built in the seventh century by Songtsan Gambo, the Tang Princess Wen
Cheng and Nepalese Princess Bhrikuti. Its four story main building demonstrates
a combination of the Han, Tibetan, Indian and Nepalese architectural styles,
as well as a man - made world outlook of Buddhism. With the Hall of Amitayus
Sutra as its center, the monastery symbolizes the nuclear to the universe.
The Hall of Sakyamuni is the essence of the monastery.
Located in the northern part of the old city of Lhasa, the klukang Monastery
was built in the mid seventh century. It was damaged and rebuilt several
times. The monastery houses many murals and the statues of Sakyamuni, Maitreya
At the foot of the Wuze Hill in Sera to the north of Lhasa, the Sera Monastery
is one of the three great monasteries in Lhasa and one of the six great
monasteries of the Gelug Sect of Buddhism in Tibet. It was built by one
of disciples of Zonggaba in 1419. On 27th of the 12th month of the Tibetan
calendar, the monastery holds the grand Sera Bungchen Festival, which attracts
flocks of Buddhists and others.